IRCS launched Youth Program in 2015 with the support of ICRC in around 88 school/colleges, 44 communities from 22 districts in 11 State Branches [Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Assam, Manipur, Nagaland, Meghalaya, West Bengal]. The program has three key objectives –
- To enhance the understanding about the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement & its Fundamental Principles and promote peace and harmony among the youth and the selected communities.
- To strengthen the capacity of the YRC in the area of Hygiene Promotion, Household Water Treatment, Basic First Aid and Promoting Peace and harmony.
- To contribute towards increasing the awareness of and behavioral changes in the selected communities on Hygiene Promotion, Household Water Treatment and basic First Aid.
IRCS-ICRC youth program is also considering an intensive - youth led community based interventions - component added to the J/YRC level activities.
Key activities under youth program
- Trainings to selected teachers and students on Red Cross, Youth program activities as well as on Hygiene Promotion, Water & Sanitation and First Aid.
- Initiation of preparation of visibility activities (wall paintings, posters etc) and printing of behavior change communication material etc.
- Initiation of behavior change communication sessions in communities on WASH, First Aid and Health.
- Celebration of special days in school/ college and branch levels with focus on increasing community awareness on Red Cross and Health issues, e.g. – World Red Cross Day, World Health Day, World Water Day, World Health Day, World Malaria Day, International Youth Day, International FA Day, World Toilet Day.
- Exposure visits of selected Community members/J/YRC Members to other villages to observe community development approaches.
- Initiation of Providing WASH materials (e.g. water filter, soap) and FA Kits and FA Posts in the communities as per need.
- Initiation of clean school/college- Healthy school/college and clean village- Healthy village campaigns.